Elizabeth Walters from Massachusetts
It's Member Spotlight time! This month's Member Spotlight is Elizabeth Walters from Massachusetts. Once a long-time resident of Japan herself, we're so honored to bring a piece of Japan to here every month. Read what she has to say about her Bokksu experience:
1. What made you fall in love with Japanese snacks?
I spent my junior year of college in Japan. My homestay family’s father worked for a Japanese snacks distributor, and he brought home a lot of snacks that were unlike anything I’d ever had in the US. I remember I particularly liked Kinoko no Yama, an odd little mushroom-shaped snack with a chocolate cap and cookie stem. Unusual shapes are still one of my favorite aspects of Japanese snacks!
2. How did you first hear about bokksu?
A friend from Hong Kong, who also loves all kinds of Japanese food, told me about Bokksu after I complained about the poor availability of good Japanese snacks in the U.S.
3. What made you decide to take the plunge and join?
I looked at the Bokksu website and thought that the boxes looked really interesting and tasty. I loved the idea of an assortment of snacks that follow a different theme every month!
4. Are you the kind of person who eats your box in one go, or do you take your time throughout the month?
Sometimes I manage to pace myself, but to be honest I usually eat almost everything within a week or so after the box arrives. That way I can order more of my favorites from the Bokksu Boutique!😊
5. What was your favorite snack or theme from our past boxes?
I loved the Citrus Summer box, especially all of the yuzu-flavored snacks.
6. Do you have a favorite thing about Bokksu? If so, what is it?
I especially like the very carefully curated mix of popular snacks and more elegant traditional snacks within a given theme. I also love the detailed information about the snacks that comes with each month’s box.
7. Do you ever share your Bokksu? With who? (if not, we don’t blame you!)
I sometimes share with my partner and a couple of my work colleagues who appreciate Japanese snacks.
8. Do you guys ever fight over snacks, or do you have different tastes?
There is never any fighting--they are all just happy that I’m willing to share!
9. What is a future theme you’d like to see us do?
I’d love to have a sesame-themed box; sesame is a great flavor in both savory and sweet foods, and I know I can count on Bokksu to find some interesting and unusual sesame snacks.
10. What Japanese snack would you like to see in a future box?
I’d love to have Yatsuhashi senbei from Kyoto. Their cinnamon crunchiness is fantastic!
11. What’s your favorite Japanese snack or food? (doesn’t need to be a Bokksu snack)
It’s almost impossible for me to pick one favorite, but I do love really good tempura of all kinds---even natto (fermented soy bean) tempura! (Maybe Bokksu can find a tempura snack?!?)
12. Have you ever been to Japan? If yes, what was the highlight of your trip?
Actually, I lived in Japan for almost 17 years, and have made a number of trips back to Japan since returning to the U.S. One highlight of my most recent trip was visiting the Kit Kat Chocolatory at the Kyoto Daimaru. The Kit Kat ice cream parfait and special edition luxury Kit Kat bars were truly amazing!
Thanks for being this month's member spotlight, Elizabeth! It was so great to hear your thoughts :)