1. How do you feel about being selected as our Bokksu Member Spotlight?
2. What do you find most exciting about Japanese snacks?
3. What made you fall in love with Japanese snacks?
SIERRA: I lived in Washington D.C. for college and every spring they would have the Cherry Blossom Festival. On one of the festival days there was the Sakura Matsuri Japanese Street Festival and I got us tickets. It was a super fun day filled with performances and lots of snacks from vendors. Ever since then I’ve always looked for the snacks we got that day and am always looking to explore more.
JACK: My uncle lived in Japan for a period of time, and he would bring us back little snacks when I was a kid. I remember being a huge fan of the Ramune toy drinks.
4. How did you discover Bokksu?
SIERRA: My boyfriend, Jack, actually got it for me as a present for our 5th anniversary.
JACK: Sierra and I have wanted to go to Japan for a long time. I wanted to get her a gift that was related, so I did some searching and found Bokksu. I liked that it was clear the contents couldn’t be picked up right from the international section of the super market.
5. What was your favorite snack and/or favorite theme in our past boxes?
SIERRA: I love the cherry blossom themed box. It just reminded me so much of standing in the tidal basin watching the flower petals float in the air.
JACK: The White Strawberry, just for sheer level of surprise from that first bite. I still have no idea how they managed to fill it.
6. Do you guys ever fight over snacks, or do you have different tastes?
SIERRA: We actually don’t fight over the snacks! If there’s one I really love I actually am just really excited to share it with him. Luckily for me Jack also eats all the snacks I’m not too fond of so nothing goes to waste.
JACK: Yeah, we’re usually really good about sharing. She tends to not like Matcha flavoring as much, so I get all of those. That or anything too spicy.
7. On average, how long does your Bokksu last before you finish the whole box?
SIERRA: I like to savor my snacks so I can make a box last for a whole month or longer. Jack on the other hand could eat the whole thing in 4 hours.
JACK: I can neither confirm nor deny that.
8. What Japanese snack would you like to see in a future Bokksu?
SIERRA: I don’t know if it’s possible but I would love to see Taiyaki in a future box!
JACK: … there’s not a whole line of Japanese snacks that are fruits secretly filled with chocolate, is there?
9. What is a future theme you would like to see Bokksu do?
SIERRA: whole tea ceremony themed box would be really interesting.
: I’ve really enjoyed the regional themed boxes, and I know there was an Okinawa box back in 2017
. I’d love to see that come around again.
10. How would you describe the feeling you get when you’re about to open your Bokksu?
SIERRA: I get super excited and I check the mail a bunch of times waiting for the box to come!
JACK: It’s always a cool, adventurous feeling. I make sure not to check the website for info on the new box, so the contents are always a surprise.
11. What do you look forward to most about Spring
SIERRA: This spring I’m excited to finish up term two of medical school, to go see Jack again, and of course to eat more snacks!
JACK: I’m eagerly awaiting it warming back up a little bit, which will be right around the time Sierra gets back.
12. What is one Japanese food you just can’t get enough of (doesn’t have to be a Bokksu snack)?
SIERRA: I am a huge green tea drinker, especially when I need to pull all-nighters to study.
JACK: I have a very unhealthy obsession with Tonkatsu Ramen.
Thanks for being this month's member spotlight! It was so great to hear your thoughts :)