March is here and we are super excited to introduce you to our first Bokksu Member Spotlight, Ken Fu! Ken has been a dedicated, long-time member of the Bokksu Family who shares our same passion for Japanese snacks. He was kind enough to answer a few questions and allow us to get to know him on a more personal level! Read on to find out more about Ken and who knows, you might be the next member to be featured in our upcoming Newsletters :)
1. How do you feel about being selected as our first Bokksu Member Spotlight?
I am honored! I've been an avid fan of Bokksu ever since the first box, so to be featured in the member spotlight is a nice recognition.
2. Where in Japan would you like to visit one day? Why?
Hokkaido during the winter. I am generally averse to the cold but the idea of being in a ryokan with an onsen is so attractive and quintessentially Japanese.
3. What is one Japanese food you just can’t get enough of (doesn’t have to be a Bokksu snack)?
Tempura that transcends the usual ingredients. I was at a homestay in rural Japan once where the obaasan went to her garden, picked up some random leaves and deep fried them. It was amazing.
4. What was your favorite snack and/or favorite theme in our past boxes?
In terms of favorite snack, probably the Jaga Pokkuru (Hokkaido potato sticks). My family even started buying them in bulk. My favorite theme is definitely Kuro. The effort and thought in curating that box was very evident, and none of the items felt out of place.
5. On average, how long does your Bokksu last before you finish the whole box?
On average about a week, but I have been guilty more than once of finishing the whole box in less than an hour!
6. How would you describe the feeling you get when you’re about to open your Bokksu?
A mixture of curiosity, excitement, and trepidation. Is this month's box going to be one of those where I finish the whole thing in one sitting?